Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Week 8: Plotting & Planning



After the whirlwind of last weeks sewing frenzy, I am trying to figure out what to do next. You know when you finish a really intense project the last thing you want is another intense project? That is how I feel. I *think* I want something that is much less a commitment. Here are some options:
  1.  Sewaholic Renfrew, which is a basic knit top. I just received this as my first Sewaholic pattern in the mail a few weeks ago, maybe this a good time to break it in? This would also be my first foray into sewing with knits, so there will be a bit of a learning curve, but still low intensity. A simple knit top might be right up my alley.
  2. Something with an olive wool jersey in my stash. I have been sitting on two yards of merino wool jersey for over two years. I think I haven't done anything with it because I am not completely in love with the color. But maybe this is the time to bring it out anyway? I was thinking using it with either a wrap dress or a wrap top. Technically I could use this for a Renfrew, killing two birds with one fabric, but for some reason I don't see them a good match. 
  3.  Make a dress for my younger sister's bridal shower. I have the pattern and the fabric picked, but I know the pattern will need adjusting based on reviews I have read. And the shower is over a month away. So I should clearly wait until the week before ;) 
  4. Vogue 8648, which is part of the Susan Khalje Craftsy class. This is going in the opposite direction with this option. It would be a couture dress, with all the hand-sewing and intensity that involves. So why is this an option? I don't really know. I just want to do it soon :)
So this week I have two things to do. I need to show you all the pictures of the wool dress (plus muslins) that I made last week. I promise better pictures, but most likely not outside. It is cold out there! And decide which of these options I will tackle next.

How do you choose your next project? Do you have a list? Is it based on a fabric, or pattern or are you all over the place like me? And what do you think I should do next?

9 comments:

  1. I am unfortunately disorganised too! I want to change this, but I struggle. I would get onto the Bridal shower dress... that way if you get frustrated with it you can afford to have a break from it. Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, one vote for the Bridal Shower dress! I don't know if I should give you extra credit for having such a sensible reason behind it or not ;) Honestly, I do like the idea of being to take a break if needed, as opposed to sewing until the wee hours of the morning the day of the shower! Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. My thoughts are this. If you really are going to sew a dress for the shower, then by all means start it now. Because, yes, it will be an involved project... But the best way to make it an easier and not so stressful project is to give yourself plenty of time. So in the name of sensibility, I too vote for the BS Dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two votes for Bridal Shower dress! I know, I know...having more time will make it easier. I know I need to alter the pattern so I will have to make multiple muslins. Even more of a reason to do the BS dress! Muslin City, here I come ;)

      Delete
  3. Put them all together, wham bam, the couture renfrew bridal shower dress in olive green wool! You're welcome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also purchased the Susan Khalje Craftsy class and haven't done a thing with it. Maybe we could do a sew-a-long to get started.

    PS my vote is for the bridal shower dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sew-along is a great idea! I purchased Susan's class and also the Jean-ius with Kenneth King last October and haven't done a thing with them! Email me maggie.stitch.n.thyme at gmail.com and we will try to figure something out.

      And the bridal shower dress is the clear winner :)

      Delete
  5. Yes! Get started on your special occasion dress right away so you're not sobbing at your sewing machine at 3am the night before (don't ask me how many times I've made this mistake)! And have fun with the Renfrew-- sewing knits is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete