Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hollywood Inspiration: Myrna Loy

 

Nora Charles: How many drinks have you had?
Nick Charles: This will make six Martinis.
Nora Charles: [to the waiter] All right. Will you bring me five more Martinis, Leo? Line them right up here.

After yesterday's break-up with my Dubarry dress, I needed some inspiration. I needed comfort. I needed some macaroni & cheese and The Thin Man. It (the movie, not the dish) is always good for a great look at 1930's fashion and, of course, a few laughs. The outfits that Myrna Loy floats through the screen in are to die for. From the scenes where she is lounging in gorgeous silk pajamas, or arriving in her fabulous fur trimmed coat, to hosting a dinner party in the jaw-dropping striped dress, Nora Charles is always stunning and stylish.
 
Isn't that just gorgeous?!

I love Myrna Loy. She doesn't seem to be remembered for her style as much as others of her time, but sharing the stage with other Hollywood style icons like Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo and Bette Davis, it might be easy to play second fiddle. But, the woman played parts in 129 movies! Sheesh.
 
That fabulous coat :)

Always a picture of sophistication and class, Myrna Loy, I think, embodies that graceful fluidity of the 1930's.  Not to say I am not a fan of the other 30's beauties, for I am. But for some reason, when I think of the 30's I always associate it with the wit, sense of humor and elegance of Loy, all which seem so effortless for her in The Thin Man. Smart, sassy and stylish. What more could you ask for?

 
What do you think? Are you as enamored with Ms. Loy as I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment